- A successful transhiatal esophagectomy involves an orderly series of steps: the abdominal, cervical, mediastinal, and cervical esophagogastric anastomotic phases of the operation.
- A surgeon’s assessment of esophageal mobility on manual palpation through the diaphragmatic hiatus is the most important determinant of the appropriateness of a transhiatal esophagectomy.
- A surgeon performing a transhiatal esophagectomy is not absolved of the responsibility of having a firm knowledge of thoracic anatomy and the complications of esophagectomy and their management.
- A properly mobilized stomach should be as pink in the neck prior to the esophagogastric anastomosis as it was in the abdomen when the operation began.
- A cervical esophagogastric anastomotic leak translates to a stricture in 50% of cases; a meticulous side-to-side stapled anastomosis minimizes the risk of this complication and the need for life long dilations.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 2, 2020
Lin, Jules, and Mark B Orringer. "Transhiatal Esophagectomy." Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book, Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2020. STS Surgery, ebook.sts.org.
Lin J, Orringer MB. Transhiatal Esophagectomy. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, eds. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2020. ebook.sts.org. Accessed November 28, 2023.
Lin, J., & Orringer, M. B. (2020). Transhiatal Esophagectomy. In Darling, G., Baumgartner, W., & Jacobs, J. (Eds.), Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons. ebook.sts.org
Lin J, Orringer MB. Transhiatal Esophagectomy [Internet]. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, editors. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2020. [cited 2023 November 28]. Available from: ebook.sts.org.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Transhiatal Esophagectomy ID - 1418560 A1 - Orringer,Mark, ED - Jacobs,J, ED - Darling,Gail, ED - Baumgartner,William, Y1 - 2020/01/02/ BT - Pearson's General Thoracic UR - https://ebook.sts.org/sts/view/Pearsons-General-Thoracic/1418560/3.1/Transhiatal_Esophagectomy PB - Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons DB - STS Surgery DP - Unbound Medicine ER -