Thoracic Outlet Syndromes
- Thoracic outlet syndrome refers to a range of distinct clinical entities resulting from compression of the brachial plexus (Neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome), subclavian vein (Venous thoracic outlet syndrome) or subclavian artery (Arterial thoracic outlet syndrome)
- The diagnosis of thoracic outlet syndrome requires detailed history and physical exam, diagnostic maneouvers, and often imaging evaluation to outline the pathology affecting the neurovascular bundle
- Initial non-operative management should include modification of activities (at home and at work) to decrease patient symptoms, postural correction, and physical therapy to address the problems of nerve compression and muscle imbalance of the neck and chest wall.
- Surgery is indicated in patients with severe vascular compression or vascular injury, and in brachial plexus compression with symptoms that are refractory to physical therapy.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 18, 2022
Osho, Asishan, and Dean Donahue. "Thoracic Outlet Syndromes." Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book, Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2022. STS Surgery, ebook.sts.org.
Osho A, Donahue D. Thoracic Outlet Syndromes. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, eds. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2022. ebook.sts.org. Accessed May 30, 2023.
Osho, A., & Donahue, D. (2022). Thoracic Outlet Syndromes. In Darling, G., Baumgartner, W., & Jacobs, J. (Eds.), Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons. ebook.sts.org
Osho A, Donahue D. Thoracic Outlet Syndromes [Internet]. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, editors. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2022. [cited 2023 May 30]. Available from: ebook.sts.org.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Thoracic Outlet Syndromes ID - 1418489 ED - Jacobs,J, ED - Darling,Gail, ED - Baumgartner,William, Y1 - 2022/10/18/ BT - Pearson's General Thoracic UR - https://ebook.sts.org/sts/view/Pearsons-General-Thoracic/1418489/6.1/Thoracic_Outlet_Syndromes PB - Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons DB - STS Surgery DP - Unbound Medicine ER -