- A bronchoplastic procedure is a general term for a reconstructive technique of the bronchial lumen. It may be employed as part of a parenchymal-sparing operation in which a segment of bronchus is resected with diseased tissue and the remaining airway is anastomosed: a sleeve resection.
- It should be considered in any patient, regardless of pulmonary function and ability to tolerate a pneumonectomy, with a central tumor that can be completely resected in this manner.
- Sleeve resection provides at least an equivalent oncological outcome compared to pneumonectomy without additional morbidity.
- Bronchoplastic procedures can safely be performed after neoadjuvant therapy without increased risk of complication.
- Major, potentially lethal complications including bronchovascular and bronchopleural fistula are fortunately rare and occur at a rate less than 1%.
We thank the authors of the last edition’s chapter (François Tronc, Jocelyn Grégoire and Jean Deslauriers) for a wonderfully written and comprehensive review of the topic. This chapter includes their excellent sections on the history of the procedure and anatomical considerations. The technique section has been expanded upon to include new data about minimally invasive approaches.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: March 17, 2020
Dingley, Stephen D, et al. "Bronchoplasty." Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book, Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2020. STS Surgery, ebook.sts.org.
Dingley SD, Harrison MA, Burfeind WR. Bronchoplasty. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, eds. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2020. ebook.sts.org. Accessed May 29, 2023.
Dingley, S. D., Harrison, M. A., & Burfeind, W. R. (2020). Bronchoplasty. In Darling, G., Baumgartner, W., & Jacobs, J. (Eds.), Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons. ebook.sts.org
Dingley SD, Harrison MA, Burfeind WR. Bronchoplasty [Internet]. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, editors. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2020. [cited 2023 May 29]. Available from: ebook.sts.org.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Bronchoplasty ID - 1418478 ED - Jacobs,J, ED - Darling,Gail, ED - Baumgartner,William, Y1 - 2020/03/17/ BT - Pearson's General Thoracic UR - https://ebook.sts.org/sts/view/Pearsons-General-Thoracic/1418478/all/Bronchoplasty PB - Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons DB - STS Surgery DP - Unbound Medicine ER -