Anatomy of the Lung
- Thorough understanding of the anatomic patterns of the airways, pulmonary arteries, veins, and lymphatics is essential for all forms of lung surgery.
- Airways, pulmonary arteries, and bronchial arteries run together in the center of the bronchopulmonary segments; pulmonary veins run in the periphery and intersegmental planes.
- Variations of both large and microscopic structures are common; the airway anatomy is the most constant and pulmonary venous anatomy is the most varied.
- Pulmonary lymphatics are found in both the peripheral and central parts of the segments. Lymphatic drainage patterns from each lobe are generally predictable, and evaluation of lymph node metastases gives essential prognostic information for patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
- Locations of pulmonary lymph nodes act as intraoperative landmarks, aiding in the identification of other pulmonary structures during lung resection.
- Knowledge of anatomic relationships in the hilum is the key to successful pulmonary surgery.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: March 29, 2023
Schraufnagel, Dean P, and Daniel Raymond. "Anatomy of the Lung." Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book, Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2023. STS Surgery, ebook.sts.org.
Schraufnagel DP, Raymond D. Anatomy of the Lung. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, eds. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2023. ebook.sts.org. Accessed September 27, 2023.
Schraufnagel, D. P., & Raymond, D. (2023). Anatomy of the Lung. In Darling, G., Baumgartner, W., & Jacobs, J. (Eds.), Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons. ebook.sts.org
Schraufnagel DP, Raymond D. Anatomy of the Lung [Internet]. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, editors. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2023. [cited 2023 September 27]. Available from: ebook.sts.org.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Anatomy of the Lung ID - 1418453 ED - Jacobs,J, ED - Darling,Gail, ED - Baumgartner,William, Y1 - 2023/03/29/ BT - Pearson's General Thoracic UR - https://ebook.sts.org/sts/view/Pearsons-General-Thoracic/1418453/all/Anatomy_of_the_Lung PB - Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons DB - STS Surgery DP - Unbound Medicine ER -