- Diseases of the trachea that require surgical resection and reconstruction include idiopathic tracheal stenosis, postintubation injuries, and primary tumors of the trachea.
- Simple radiologic techniques without use of contrast medium will delineate most pathologic conditions of the trachea.
- Bronchoscopy is invaluable in determining the extent of airway disease preoperatively.
- Tracheal strictures need to be serially dilated with pediatric rigid bronchoscopes before endotracheal intubation.
- Dissection of the trachea remains close to its lateral border to avoid injury to the recurrent laryngeal nerves.
- The tracheal anastomosis is done with interrupted absorbable suture material (4-0 Vicryl).
- Anastomotic tension is minimized by neck flexion and traction sutures (2-0 Vicryl).
- A strap muscle flap is interposed between the tracheal anastomosis and the innominate artery.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: December 4, 2019
Merritt, Robert E, and Douglas J Mathisen. "Tracheal Resection." Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book, Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2019. STS Surgery, ebook.sts.org.
Merritt RE, Mathisen DJ. Tracheal Resection. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, eds. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2019. ebook.sts.org. Accessed September 27, 2023.
Merritt, R. E., & Mathisen, D. J. (2019). Tracheal Resection. In Darling, G., Baumgartner, W., & Jacobs, J. (Eds.), Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons. ebook.sts.org
Merritt RE, Mathisen DJ. Tracheal Resection [Internet]. In: Darling GE, Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, editors. Pearson's General Thoracic Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2019. [cited 2023 September 27]. Available from: ebook.sts.org.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Tracheal Resection ID - 1418143 ED - Jacobs,J, ED - Darling,Gail, ED - Baumgartner,William, Y1 - 2019/12/04/ BT - Pearson's General Thoracic UR - https://ebook.sts.org/sts/view/Pearsons-General-Thoracic/1418143/6/Tracheal_Resection PB - Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons DB - STS Surgery DP - Unbound Medicine ER -