- Heart transplant remains an excellent replacement therapy for end stage heart failure
- There remains a shortage of donors for an increased demand
- To increase the donor supply, marginal donors, organ preservation systems and donation after cardiac death donors are being utilized.
- A shift in allocation system was initiated in 2019; it has favored sicker patients and has led to decreased utilization of left ventricular assist devices as a bridge to transplant
- Mortality following heart transplantation is usually secondary to primary graft failure in the first month, opportunistic infection in the first year, acute allograft rejection in the first three years and cardiac allograft vasculopathy or malignancy in the first ten years
- Advances in genetic engineering (transgenic pigs) have laid the foundation for forthcoming xenotransplantation trials.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: November 21, 2023
Aziz, Jenna, et al. "Heart Transplantation." Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book, Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2023. STS Surgery, ebook.sts.org.
Aziz J, Howell EB, Pal JD, Mokadam NA. Heart Transplantation. In: Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, Darling GE, eds. Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2023. ebook.sts.org. Accessed December 5, 2023.
Aziz, J., Howell, E. B., Pal, J. D., & Mokadam, N. A. (2023). Heart Transplantation. In Baumgartner, W., Jacobs, J., & Darling, G. (Eds.), Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons. ebook.sts.org
Aziz J, Howell EB, Pal JD, Mokadam NA. Heart Transplantation [Internet]. In: Baumgartner WA, Jacobs JP, Darling GE, editors. Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. STS Cardiothoracic Surgery E-Book. Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons; 2023. [cited 2023 December 05]. Available from: ebook.sts.org.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Heart Transplantation ID - 1864046 A1 - Aziz,Jenna,MD ED - Baumgartner,William, ED - Jacobs,J, ED - Darling,Gail, Y1 - 2023/11/21/ BT - Adult Cardiac UR - https://ebook.sts.org/sts/view/Cardiac-and-Congenital/1864046/3.0/Heart_Transplantation PB - Chicago: Society of Thoracic Surgeons DB - STS Surgery DP - Unbound Medicine ER -